Detroit — The all-new 2012 Buick Verano compact luxury sedan, the brand's third new model in the past two years and first in the compact luxury segment, will be revealed at the North American International Auto Show.
Verano goes on sale in the fourth quarter of 2011, the latest model in a product renaissance that began with the Enclave and continued with the LaCrosse and Regal. Like them, Verano is distinguished by luxury and technology, including 10 standard air bags, an available heated steering wheel and a next-generation radio system with OnStar-powered connectivity that enables seamless communication between the Verano and the driver's smart phone.
An Ecotec 2.4 L and six-speed automatic powertrain combination is standard and delivers an estimated 177 horsepower (132 kW) and 170 lb-ft torque (230 Nm), 0–60 mph performance of 8.0 seconds and an estimated 31 mpg on the highway. A 2.0 L turbo engine will be offered in the future.
“Verano expands our lineup, continues Buick's momentum and gives us a great opportunity to attract a new generation of customers with a product that delivers on their expectations for design, performance and technology,” said John Schwegman, vice president of Buick marketing. “It is a smart choice that delivers unexpected luxury in a compact sedan — and it will compete head-to-head with competitors from Audi and Lexus.”
Five elements infused in Verano that define its character:
- Sculpted design — Refined styling with a sporty profile, blending Buick's signature cues — including a black chrome waterfall grille, blue translucent projector beam headlamps, portholes and chrome accents
- Luxurious interior — Premium seat comfort and support redefined for a compact sedan and matched with upscale, soft-touch materials and premium leather — all complemented by leading-edge infotainment and ambient lighting
- Quiet tuning — The quietest compact sedan on the road — quieter than many midsize and full-size cars — Verano's quietness is supported by acoustical laminated glass, triple door seals, refined chassis dynamics and specially manufactured 17-inch standard forged alloy multi-spoke wheels, which minimize road noise
- Refined and responsive performance — Powerful and efficient Ecotec 2.4 L/six-speed automatic powertrain matched with a refined, responsive suspension system, including a sophisticated Watts Z-link rear suspension and four-wheel disc brakes with standard anti-lock brakes, full-function traction control and StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Purposeful technology — Convenience and safety features that enhance the driving experience and are rare for the segment, including 10 standard air bags, a next-generation radio, touch screen navigation and advanced connectivity technologies powered by OnStar.